29.12.07

Christmas, Five years, and so much more.

It's strange that Christmas was a few days ago. You wouldn't know it to look at our house but for the dramatic increase in toys and a bowl of candy canes and Christmas cards taped up. Usually I leave everything up for DAYS because I just can't let go of Christmas. This year everything came down on the 27th. I feel cleansed and purged. I think moving into our house in the middle of December, combined with a baby coming very soon really got me motivated to get things going.

We are thirty six weeks and one day along. My OB said she may induce early since Johnny was such a large baby and your 2nd is larger. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. I like large babies (8#, 11 oz is not THAT big) , would love to actually go into labor and things arent' ready yet! We haven't even got the crib and there is so much to do with the house. On the other hand, my body is tired of pregnancy and I am surely looking forward to crunchy shrimp rolls and a mint mojito (if anyone wants to bring these items to the hospital after delivery, feel free!). Of course, we can't wait to meet Aubrey!

We did have a marvelous Christmas, though. Saturday was spent in Soso, MS with my Dad's family--lot's of cousins, heaps of food and good times. Sunday was church and my folks came out for lunch. Christmas Eve, we lounged, wrapped last-minute gifts and went to "Christmas Eve in the Country" at Hopewell Pres. Johnny sat though the whole service and did very well. He did say baby out loud a few times (appropriate for Christmas), and belched. He also sang, which is his new thing. I figured the folks from Mt. Olive and Hopewell could handle a bit of noise in exchange for us handling the noise and excitement of their kids every Sunday night! It was a communion service which was wonderful, because for some reason or another, we haven't been at church when communion was served since Easter. It was very, very good.

We trekked to Mrs. Dorothy's house after church and spent the night with her, Daddy Morris and Sonny--so fun! Tuan and Sonny played Lord of the Rings Risk until 4 am. We got up early and had Christmas with them, ate breakfast and headed to Mt. Olive for Christmas with my family at my sister's. We've had a baby boom in my family and it was fun with four grandkids, my brother, Uncle, Granny, and parents. We ate a lot and opened gifts. Johnny gradually got into the whole gift opening thing and by the next morning (our family Christmas) he was a pro.

Tuan and I decided to establish our family tradition of celebrating Christmas morning the 26th. It spreads things out a bit and means we don't have to rush around or miss out on time with extended family. We cook a cholesterol laden, sugar topped breakfast and open our stockings and gifts. It was really fun. Having a child just changes your life and while it's not always easy, it just adds so much more fun and joy to life! I am thankful for Johnny, for Tuan and for this forthcoming little one (finally, dolls in the house!)

So, here we are. I'm trying to get things done so our house is somewhat finished, while also struggling with what things are necessities and are not. Is it wrong for me to want curtains when we have blinds? How can I justify buying fabric to make curtains when some people can barely feed their children? I confess, I feel guiltily blessed when I see my sweet Johnny in his clean, new pajamas, going to sleep in a safe, warm bed, knowing that not every mother has that luxury. Oh, I am so grateful for God's blessings--I only wish everyone had them. With this Christmas season, the longing for Jesus to come back grows. Wrong will be made right when Aslan comes in sight . . . Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: