11.8.10

dare I say it?

You know how sometimes you're afraid to say something for fear of jinxing yourself? Those knock on wood type of things--although rationally you know life doesn't work like that, irrationally you feel otherwise? That's how I am feeling these days.
Since June I've been doing lo-carb, no sugar and have lost twenty pounds, give or take a few. Gulp. There, I've said it. It's been hard, hard, hard to give up sugar, and almost as hard to give up tortilla chips and beans. The results, however are worth it. My weight it less than it was before I had Johnny and I have dropped a pants size and a bit more.
I love carbs and sugar and my body does not do well with them--it has been good to break away and while I will not bid farewell forever to such delights, I hope to one day return to them in a more sensible, less dependent, more infrequent manner.
I don't think those things are evil (why would God have promised a land flowing with milk and honey if they were?), but for right now it is better for my body to abstain.
This week, now that we are recovered from camp and all it's craziness, I am adding in more intentional excercise. Twenty more pounds to go. The additional benefit is that berries have never tasted more amazing--cantelope, too.
Saying it out loud in bloggy-land makes it more real and me more accountable. Would you pray for continued grace to do this?

3 comments:

Susie said...

Wow! Go Paula- that is great! It takes true discipline to give up carbs and sugar.

We would love to hang out sometime before you leave- haha i meant before we leave. I am bleary eyed from too much packing :) Tacos? Games?

E said...

PAULA!!!!!!!! That is so wonderful... and 20 pounds?!?! Did you have 20 pounds to lose??
Oh my goodness, CONGRATS!
I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been the past month, but I will be praying for you. When we come visit, I'll need advice on cutting out sugar... my sweet tooth has sky-rocketed since I got pregnant (and it was already pretty serious!)

odomfamilyfun said...

Fantastic! It's so hard to not just cave in when the kiddos snack on such yummy treats every now and then. Great job!!! I'll be praying for you as I have been walking that same road for a year and a half and some days are much easier than others :)