10.11.10

Pumpkin Mousse. Please, make this!

Tuan and I both have been doing the low carb life and it has been so good for us. Being out of town this week and eating more grains, beans and refined "junk" has confirmed for me that this diet has been a good choice for us. In fact, I am ready for a good plate of meat and veggies. I nearly cried when I had a plate of carnitas and guac and pico yesterday. My body was so happy. It's a good feeling to have learned what works best for one's body. I know for some, it's whole grains and low fat or no dairy. For my body, sugar and starches are not my friends (as much as I LOVE them, and I do adore refined foods--they're so, refined). Proteins, fats, nuts, cheeses, veggies and berries are my food allies.

I also love dessert and hate missing out on the fun of fall cooking (pumpkin, anyone?). I was racking my brain for several weeks over something fall-like and pumpkin-y that we could make without falling off the wagon. I realized an egg-based dessert with whipped cream met the criteria and found a recipe for pumpkin mousse on Country Living's website. Y'all, this recipe rocked our world!

Imagine, decadent pumpkin spiced with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg layered with crumbled chocolate, salted ginger pecans and nutmeg whipped cream. Seriously, we could not believe the good fortune of this recipe. It is low in carbs and calories and I have to confess I ate it for breakfast the next day. It filled me up and kept me going with no crashes later.

I calculated the nutrition facts and am including links to the recipes with adjustments I made. This is better than pumpkin pie and I plan to make it again very soon. The only trick with the nutrition facts is I calculated it with less chocolate than I would have used for the whole recipe. Not a huge difference. : )


Nutrition Facts
User Entered Recipe
12 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 344.7
Total Fat 32.1 g
Saturated Fat 11.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 13.4 g
Cholesterol 140.7 mg

Sodium 291.0 mg

Potassium 196.8 mg

Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g

Dietary Fiber 3.1 g

Sugars 6.7 g

Protein 4.3 g

Vitamin A 124.5 %
Vitamin B-12 3.4 %
Vitamin B-6 4.9 %
Vitamin C 3.3 %
Vitamin D 6.9 %
Vitamin E 8.4 %
Calcium 6.0 %
Copper 14.6 %
Folate 5.1 %
Iron 7.5 %
Magnesium 9.1 %
Manganese 52.2 %
Niacin 2.0 %
Pantothenic Acid 6.1 %
Phosphorus 11.8 %
Riboflavin 7.2 %
Selenium 7.2 %
Thiamin 10.7 %
Zinc 8.2 %

The Pumpkin Mousse:
Ingredients

5 large egg yolks
1 cup(s) sugar (I used 1/3 c. of Palm sugar--you don't need nearly as much)
3 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
15 ounce(s) canned pumpkin
2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
2 tablespoon(s) dark rum (No rum around, just substitute water)
1 teaspoon(s) powdered gelatin
3 ounce(s) shaved dark chocolate (We used semi-sweet baking bars crushed with a cleaver)
Directions
Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.
Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1/3 cup) sugar, and 3/4 cup cream together in a medium saucepan. Heat while stirring continuously with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon over medium-low heat, until thickened and the mixture coats the spatula -- about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir to cool.
Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture. Stir 1 tablespoon rum and 1 teaspoon gelatin together in a small bowl. Heat the remaining tablespoon rum, and stir in to the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Gently whisk into the pumpkin mixture. Beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff peaks, and fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into a shallow dish, cover and chill until cold and thick enough to fall from a spoon in heavy dollops -- about 8 hours or up to overnight.
Beat the remaining cream, liberal quantity of nutmeg and (NO!)sugar to stiff peaks. Alternately layer the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving dish. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings (and pecans!) between top two layers. Serve chilled.

Salted, gingered pecans.
(this was adapted from Bon Appetit)
2 cups pecan halves
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp (give or take) kosher or sea salt
ground ginger

Melt butter, toss pecans in butter, sprinkle with salt and liberally with ginger. Toast at 325 for fifteen minutes or until toasted.

I frequently cook with palm sugar. It can be found in asian markets and is so good. The affect of palm sugar on blood sugar rises and spikes is purported to be much better than white sugar and it has the subtle flavor of candy corn.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

This sounds so yummy. I am about to try a no-churn ice cream from Food Renegade. Cream, plain yogurt, egg yolks, cinnamon, honey. She uses palm sugar when she does a vanilla version of the recipe. I haven't seen it around, but I'll look for it. Sometimes you just can't get away without adding a little sweet.