2.10.08

Carbonara Update

So, it's been weighing on my mind this new and wonderful dish." How truly awful is it for you anyway?" I wondered . . . So, today, I ran the numbers and found out. I was actually surprised at how horrible it wasn't! In fact, the biggest surprise was that the worst thing cholesterol-wise were the eggs! Go figure. I may not eat as many eggs now . . .

If you were to eat the entire dish yourself (I did reduce the pasta)
1,622 calories
56 g fat
16.5 g sat fat
517 mg cholesterol (172% dra)
59 g protein

Now,even I can't imagine eating the entire bowl . . . perhaps on a really bad night when Tuan was out of town and there was no ready chocolate. Here's the deal if you eat a serving (1/3 of the recipe)

540 calories
18.6 g fat
5.5 g sat
172.3 mg cholesterol (57.3% dra)
19.6 g protein

That's less than a little burger and small fries from McDonalds, and only a little worse than a snickers and dr. pepper (sorry, Leigh!) I think if you paired it with a good salad or some veggies, you'd have a great meal. Anyway, we made it for lunch today. Johnny devoured it as did Aubrey the last time. Johnny begged for more, but, ahem, we had already scraped the bowl clean! Also, I have to say that I am surprised at the lack of bad-ness that a serving of bacon is. This is off the top of my head, but I believe that a serving of bacon (two slices) is a mere 90 calories and less than 5 mg of cholesterol?

Oh, and here's another recipe. Tuan was dubious when I told him what I was doing, but devoured most of the dish and begged for more. Everyone probably already knows this one, but here goes!

Roasted Baby Carrots
Preheat oven to 450

Place baby carrots in a pan, drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Bake approximately 40 minutes until carrots are happy and somewhat tender. (a little browing/blackening is okay)

This is an especially guilt free recipe. Johnny likes it as well and he and Tuan vie for the carrots.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Those carrots were so good! I have never been a fan of cooked carrots, so I'm excited to know this.